A work environment can be very demanding. Enterprises across the globe have increased their focus on the quality of their products, thereby exceeding the expectations of their employees. As a result, it is now nothing strange to see people who work too much, sacrificing their personal and social lives.
The problem of the life-work balance is of a cultural nature. The reality of our society is that there are thousands of people out there screaming in despair as they have to work hard and that too, for endless hours.
It would not be right to think that the balance is in flexible schedules or informal attire. Such practices by a company allows for a good working environment within the corporation but don’t necessarily encourage people to have a healthy life.
Let’s take the example of work-life balance from Matthew Schultz, who is primarily known as a singer, songwriter, actor, producer, entrepreneur, and expert of the mortgage banking industry. Matthew’s passion and reach in music have made him a remarkable musician. With his work in the retail and banking industry and as well as focus on music, he remains a pretty sound example of someone who is taking work-life balance a notch up.
With that being said, here is what an individual can do:
- Take control of your own well-being
It is up to individuals to take control and responsibility for the kind of life we want to lead. We all have different notions that it is right and wrong in our lives and if we are not clear who we want to be, your company will tell you.
You must discover your own definition of balance and know what is important to you as an individual and how to adapt it to your personal and workday. A very common mistake that people have is to think that retirement will be the freedom ticket of a life of labor slavery, but that is not the case. It is essential to seek the balance in the present since, in the future, your forces and energy will be different from today.
- Create a list of activities for your ideal day
In order to begin to have that harmony between your work life and your professional life, it is necessary to create comparison parameters. Create a list of your ideal day and include detailed activities such as walking, work and rest times, social and family physical activities, etc. Your list should answer the question: what does my life need so that in 24 hours I can be satisfied with myself?
You must be very aware of three things for this list to be useful:
- The fact that you have the list does not mean that it should be followed to the letter. This list of activities is made to refer to your normal day and to know what is needed.
- It is very unlikely that all the things you list will happen in one day, but you should do your best to include as much as you can in your routine.
- You should be very aware of the things you write since the activities should be consistent with your position and your reach.
- Look for a logical balance
As individuals, we are multifaceted, and we have several areas of our lives that need to have a balance. While creating your concept of harmony, take into account the following areas:
- Intellectual: Learning new things is important for your personal development, give some time to reading or take classes that are useful to you.
- Emotional: Having sentimental stability is crucial to reach harmony. Do not neglect relations with your family, friends, or partner. Take your time to share with people close to you.
- Physiological: If your job requires spending a lot of time sitting, try to find some activity that allows you to keep your body healthy. In the case of physical force work, it is best to take the necessary rest time.
Changes in your routine should not necessarily be dramatic. It is the small details that will mark your way of life and your health as an individual.